The first extensive use as a theatre was in 1850/51 when the room was turned into The New Theatre by well known touring actor/manager J F Rogers.
The venture lasted about six months and a further season by the Theatre Royal Players in 1855 ran about the same length. A new building called The Corn Exchange was built on the site in 1865 and due to the tighter entertainment regulations the Inn turned into a Temperance Hotel in 1871.
It’s use during that last quarter of the nineteenth century is unchartered but early in the twentieth century it turned into a roller skating rink (1909) and became known as The Rinkeries.
In 1910 it mixed skating sessions with short films as cinema became the new vogue. Very quickly the films took over and skating was abandoned. By 1912 Monmouth had a number of cinemas to cater for the new craze.
By 1914 the Picture Palace as it was then known was pre-eminent and ran a mixture of one reel films and variety acts known as CineVariety. The building was presumably a bit shoddy by 1926 because it went up for auction, was bought by a major cinema chain, demolished and completely re-built, stage et al.
It re-opened on March 5th 1928 as the New Picture House.
In April 1930 talking pictures arrived and variety died as the golden age of cinema going began. The New Picture House became part of the Gaumont British chain in 1929.